Sells parts to all customers, over the counter, through the shop, online, or on the phone.
- Assists all customers (retail and shop) in selecting required parts in a friendly, professional and efficient manner.
- Informs customers of companion part requirements and specials and ensures that the customer is exposed to the full product line.
- Answers phone calls, providing price quotes and other information.
- Reviews body shop estimates to be sure the parts that are ordered are correct and all pricing is in line with the estimate.
- Provides a high level of service to internal and external customers.
- Pulls and fills orders from stock.
- Notifies parts manager of out-of-stock parts or shop materials that need immediate attention.
- Locates out-of-stock parts from an outside source and submits an emergency order, if necessary.
- Notifies the service advisor and the customer when special ordered parts have been received.
- Notifies the body shop when all parts have arrived and when they will be delivered.
- Follows up on back-ordered parts.
- Verifies will-call and back-order files weekly and returns to vendors, or stocks those items not picked up or required.
- Replenishes assigned inventory daily.
- Assists outside sales representatives with their orders.
- Makes sure all internal requests for parts are billed on the service repair order.
- Receives payment from retail customers or obtains credit authorization.
- Ensures that all charge sales are signed by the customer.
- Ensures that all customers receive their copy of the invoice.
- Issues credit for parts returned, ensuring that the original invoice, or its number, is available so that purchase and pricing can be verified.
- Issues and tracks requested shop tools to technicians.
- Keeps orderly records of all repair orders, invoices, insurance estimates, and special-order parts.
- Sets up orders for daily shipment, delivery or pick-up.
- Solicits assigned accounts by phone.
- Keeps front and rear counter areas clean and uncluttered.
- Cleans computer terminals and printers daily.
- Participates in all training programs that are made available.
- Keeps current on new products and product updates.
- Participates with the parts manager in maintaining a lost sales tracking program.
- Maintains a professional appearance.
- Other tasks as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one- or two-step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
Customer Relations Skills
- Ability to understand another person’s emotions and understand their point of view.
- Ability to speak confidently, stay positive, and offer the kind of compelling arguments that lead to conversations.
- Ability to respond to a variety of situations in whichever way your customers prefer at the moment.
- Ability to efficiently answer questions and communicate in a clear and concise way.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations and be positive and professional with all customers.
- Ability to take responsibility for the customer’s care.
- Ability to learn company policies, product specs, and answer customer questions effectively; and ability to admit when you don’t know something and find the answer for the customer.