A new vehicle salesperson in a dealership is responsible for assisting customers in purchasing new vehicles. They engage with potential buyers, understand their preferences and needs, and present suitable vehicle options. They conduct test drives, provide detailed product information, negotiate pricing and financing terms, and facilitate the sales process. Building relationships with customers, meeting sales targets, and delivering exceptional customer service are central to their role.
- Sales and Negotiation Skills: Strong sales skills are crucial for building relationships with customers, understanding their needs, and effectively presenting and promoting vehicles. The ability to negotiate and close deals is vital in achieving sales targets and maximizing revenue.
- Product Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of the vehicles being sold, including their features, specifications, pricing, and competitive advantages, is essential. A salesperson should be able to confidently communicate the benefits and value of each vehicle to potential customers.
- Customer Service Orientation: Providing exceptional customer service is key to building trust and establishing long-term relationships with customers. Active listening, empathy, responsiveness, and the ability to address customer concerns and preferences are important aspects of customer service in this role.
- Sells and delivers a minimum number of vehicles per month.
- Writes complete sales orders and processes paperwork in accordance with dealership policies.
- Utilizes dealership sales control and follow-up systems.
- Attends product and sales training courses as requested by the sales manager.
- Keeps up-to-date on new products and services within the industry.
- Maintains an owner follow-up system that encourages repeat and referral business and contributes to customer satisfaction.
- Maintains a prospect development system.
- Conducts business in an ethical and professional manner.
- Satisfies the transportation needs of new-vehicle purchasers.
- Approaches, greets and offers assistance or direction to any customer who enters the dealership showroom or sales lot.
- Assists customers in selecting a vehicle by asking questions and listening carefully to their responses.
- Fully explains product performance, application, and benefits to prospects.
- Describes all optional equipment available for customer purchase.
- Offers test drives to all prospects. Follows dealership procedure to obtain proper identification from customers prior to test drive.
- Exhibits a high level of commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Knows and understands the federal, provincial and local laws that govern retail auto sales.
- Establishes personal income goals that are consistent with dealership standards of productivity, and devises a strategy to meet those goals.
- Keeps abreast of new products, features accessories, etc., and their benefits to customers.
- Knows and understands equity and values, and is able to explain depreciation to the customer.
- Ensures that the sales manager has an opportunity to meet each customer.
- Turns 100 percent of closed deals to finance and insurance manager, along with properly completed paperwork (insurance information, trade title, etc.).
- Prepares sold vehicles for customer delivery prior to customer arrival.
- Delivers vehicles to customers, ensuring that each customer understands the vehicle’s operating features, warranty, and paperwork.
- Introduces customers to service department personnel to emphasize the quality and efficiency of service repairs and maintenance available in the dealership’s service department.
- Schedules first service appointment.
- Follows up on all post-delivery items, tag/title work, “we-owes” and special requests to be sure that all customer expectations are met.
- Reviews and analyzes actions at the end of each day, week, month, and year to determine how to better utilize time and plans more effectively.
- Attends sales meetings.
- Maintains a professional appearance.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Sales License
- Valid Driver’s License